After World War II the Rutland Railroad needed new power to augment its aging fleet. The road was unable to afford diesels and also shared terminal facilities with connecting railroads that had not yet converted to internal combustion power. Consequently, the Rutland opted for four class L-1 4-8-2s from the American Locomotive Company which were delivered in June 1946. They headed manifest freights and passenger trains such as the Green Mountain Flyer until withdrawn from service around 1953 in favor of ALCo RS-3 road switchers. The Rutland held them for potential sale for two years, but when no buyer for these fine-looking locomotives appeared they were scrapped. For their specifications see the page for No. 93 following. Carl Weber provided this image of No. 91, photographer not specified, taken at Chester, Vermont on September 6, 1948.