Pennsylvania Railroad 4-6-2 No. 5499 was the newest of the 424 members of the K-4s class, coming out of the Altoona shops in 1928. Ironically, she is shown in our Random Steam Collection to represent the general appearance of the K-4 before visible modernization or application of experimental features. The headlight and generator are in their original position, and the slatted pilot has yet to be replaced with the solid sheet steel pilot eventually applied to many members of the class. An unidentified photographer snapped the photo at East St. Louis on May 11, 1938; it came to our collection via Carl Weber.