The Pennsylvania Railroad billed itself as "The Standard Railroad of the World" — ironically, since many of its steam locomotive practices were idiosyncratic. These included the almost universal use of Belpaire fireboxes (squared, rather than rounded top), high-mounted headlights, and "banshee" or "hooter" whistles on many engines, the keystone number plate, and a numbering scheme that was no scheme at all but an assortment that saw locomotives of all classes intermixed at random. Some of these typical features are visible on No. 5477, seen above in a photo of indeterminate origin. Until the advent of the T-1 duplex-drive locomotives during World War II, almost all the PRR's inter-city passenger trains in non-electrified territory were in the hands of durable K-4s 4-6-2s like this example. She was one of PRR's newer Pacifics, coming from Altoona in 1927.