The Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis's bullet-nosed 4-8-4s that lacked the running board skirting were known as the "stripes." In this view by Frank Ardrey, courtesy of Tom Rock of T.D.R. Productions, we see "stripe" No. 584 departing Chattanooga on December 8, 1946. She is doubleheading with No. 583, behind her, and still wears the headlight shield applied during World War II.