The nine streamlined 4-6-4s of class E-4, Nos. 4001-4009, were the last new steam locomotives acquired by the C&NW. No. 4002 was chosen for the 1938 American Locomotive Company builder's photo. Painted dark olive with gold striping, the E-4s plied the main line between Chicago and Omaha at the head of fast passenger trains. With the encroachment of diesels, however, they were demoted and ended their careers in Chicago suburban service, No. 4002 was retired in 1953, and by 1956 nearly all members of the class had been sent to the scrapper. For the specifications of the E-4 class see the commentary on No. 4006.