Between 1942 and 1948 the Baltimore & Ohio constructed 40 class T-3 4-8-2s in its Mount Clare shops in Baltimore, using boilers from retired Mikados and Pacifics. Originally numbered 5555-5594, those that remained in 1956-57 were renumbered to 700-734. In this view by Robert Leffingwell we see No. 723 (originally 5581) of class T-3b at Willard, Ohio on March 31, 1957. The locomotive is apparently turning its train on a wye in order to return a railfan special to its origin, probably Chicago. For the dimensions of the T3 class, see the commentary on No. 5584.