In 1945 the Santa Fe acquired seven class T-1a 2-8-4s from the Boston & Maine, rendered redundant on the New England road by reduced traffic levels with the end of World War II in Europe. (Ten B&M Berkshires went to the Southern Pacific at the same time.) The Santa Fe rebuilt the locomotives as oil-burners in the 4193 class, and No. 4197 (the former B&M 4003) received a more extensive rebuilding as seen here. The Coffin feedwater heater was exchanged for the Elesco type, the headlight was centered on the smokebox front, the bell was repositioned, standard AT&SF number boards were applied, a multiple-bearing crosshead replaced the alligator type, and a Walschaerts valve gear replaced the original Baker gear. Rebuilding in the Santa Fe's Topeka shops gave No. 4197 27½x30-inch cylinders and the boiler pressure was raised to 270 pounds, yielding a tractive force of 82,000 pounds. The rebuilding radically altered the appearance of the locomotive, as may be gauged by the view of the unrebuilt No. 4198 following. This postcard view is unattributed, but a photo of No. 4197 in the same pose but from a slightly different angle appeared in the October 1947 issue of Railroad Magazine and came from William A. Gibson of Topeka, Kansas.