William D. Volkmer photographed NYC 0-8-0 No. 7456 at Chatham, New York, on August 30, 1952. During the last days of steam on the Central's eastern lines this ALCo-built class U-2a switcher, originally numbered 756, was still doing duty when newer and larger power had either been sent to the scrapyard or reassigned to the Midwest. Somewhere on the system, she lasted till 1956. The specifications of the U-2 class of some 208 engines were nearly identical for all twelve subclasses, the bulk of which were erected between 1916-1918 by ALCo and Lima; see the commentary on No. 7539 for the details.