Paul Eilenberger captured this image of No. 2627, a member of the L-1c class, at Newbury Junction, Pennsylvania on April 18, 1946. The photo, from the collection of William A. Raia, came to our New York Central Collection via an eBay purchase. Members of class L-1c were Lima products of 1918; their dimensions were similar to those of the earlier L-1 classes (see the commentaries for Nos. 2545 and 2560). Though originally hand-fired and with a fabricated trailing truck, most of the L-1s (like No. 2627) received Duplex stokers, booster-equipped trailing trucks, and feedwater heaters — in 2627's case, the Coffin type. They featured the Walschaerts valve gear, unlike NYC's later Mohawks that had the Baker gear. In later service many L-1s were assigned to the NYC's Pennsylvania Division, as in this example. Records indicate that this locomotive was retired and cut up in 1950.